Mir Ali, M.D., Ph.D. is a Board Certified Orthopedic Spine Surgeon who specializes in conservative/non-surgical and surgical treatment of neck and back disorders. Dr. Ali completed his PhD in Cellular and Molecular Pathology in 2002, and then graduated from medical school with highest honors in 2004. Dr. Ali completed his residency training in orthopedic surgery at the world renown Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN in 2009 and fellowship training in spine surgery at Rush University Medical Center in 2010. Dr. Ali joined Rezin Orthopedics and Sports Medicine in 2013 and created the Deerpath Spine Institute.
Dr. Ali is known in the medical community for his precise examination skills, attentive ears, and his vigorous belief in patient education. He is also known as a conservative surgeon who believes in surgery as the very last option and only believes in as little surgery as necessary to address the patient’s condition.
Dr. Ali’s philosophy is spending adequate time with each patient, explaining his/her condition in terms he/she can understand, discussing treatment options together in a team-oriented manner, and recommending surgery only when all other options have failed.
In his free time, Dr Ali enjoys spending time with his wife and six children, reading, and bicycling. Dr. Ali sees patients at the Morris, Ottawa, Joliet, and Bolingbrook offices of Rezin Orthopedics and Sports Medicine.
Education & Training
• Fellowship Training in Spine Surgery – Rush University Medical Center – Midwest Orthopedics- July 2010.
• Residency Training in Orthopedic Surgery – Mayo Clinic – Mayo Graduate School of Medical Education- June 2009
• Medical School – The University of Chicago – Pritzker School of Medicine
– Completed M.D. June 2004 – Pritzker School of Medicine
– Completed Ph.D June 2002 – Biological Sciences Division / Department of Pathology
– Graduated with Honors and the John Van Prohaska Award for outstanding potential in teaching, research, and clinical medicine
• Board Certified in Orthopedic spine surgery by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery- 2012
• Member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)